Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chris Jordan: Running the Numbers

My first impression of these images was that they were very eye opening to how much humans consume on a daily basis. I thought that the way he portrayed that message to the viewer was very successful and interesting. I liked how he was able to show that message as well as do it in an artistic, new way. One of the images that I really liked was "Barbie Dolls," shown to the right. They way that he chose to have barbie dolls as the object portrayed multiple times, made the message he was getting across more powerful. Also I loved how at first, I did not notice that barbie dolls made up a whole new image as you backed up, also making the message more powerful.

Some of his photos I liked a little less because the smaller figures in the image did not make up any larger image when you backed away. I thought those were less powerful than the other photos. These specific photos just appeared to be very textural looking to me.

Also, there was one image that I really like, but also confused me. "Cans Seurat" appeared to be the painting "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by George Seurat. But when you got closer to the image, you notice it is made up of many aluminum cans. I did not understand why he chose to have the cans make up this painting or how the message of the amount of cans used every 30 seconds was connected to this painting. Once I was able to go back and rethink Jordan's reason for using this painting, I began to think that it might be because this painting shows many people enjoying a day at the park, which can be related to our consumerist society in a way. Jordan's was trying to get the viewer to see how we live in a consumerist society, which is kind of what this painting is also saying in a way. Also I think Jordan could have chose this painting because it is made up of many dots, while this picture is made up of many small cans, acting as dots in a way. Overall I really enjoyed this museum visit and Chris Jordan's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment