Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Favorite Photo (s)

In class the other day, we were asked to pick one photo, whether it was one of our own or someone else's, that had stuck with us or effected us in some way. I had such a tough time trying to pick that one favorite photo of mine, among the many photos that were spinning through my head. Even now, sitting here typing this, I still can not decided what my favorite photo is. There have been so many photo's that have stuck with me over the years and have influenced my interest in photography in many ways. The moment I begin to narrow in on one image, I immediately think of another one and begin to feel that it is unfair to not mention that one as well. Even when it comes to my own work, I just can't bring myself to choose just one photo. I still find small flaws in some of my favorite photos, that I have taken, and feel I can't choose it as my favorite when I don't see it as completely finished or perfect.

So here comes the moment of true. I decided that I was going to pick 2 of my own photos that are my favorite instead of just one, since I really, REALLY couldn't decide.

This first photo is a picture I took while emulating Robert Parke Harrison. I love this photo so much because of the feeling it gives me. It makes me feel tranquil. I also just love the idea of man becoming nature.




This next photo was apart of my final project last semester that ended up to be my favorite project I have ever done. This picture was the first one I took in the series. It is one of my favorites because of the whole idea of creating my own world with photography as well as making things that are impossible it life, possible. Like flying. This was one of the photos that I can see flaws in, but still really enjoy. The only thing I wish I did differently in this photo was shoot it in a house or a plain room rather than outside. 


Trying to pick my favorite photo taken by another photographer was also way to difficult for me. I just like so many different photographers with different styles, I couldn't see myself picking just one. So I decided to show 3 of my favorite photographers and some of my favorite photos by them. 

First is Robert Parke Harrison, who has been my favorite photographer for a long time. He creates a whole new world in his photos and pulls me in to each image in such a way that I find myself looking at just one image for a long time. 






The next photographer I just had to show is Sally Mann. Her photo's of her children are entrancing, sometimes haunting, and beautiful at the same time. Also the technique she uses when shooting makes her images so much more beautiful in tone and contrast.






The last photographer I picked was Francesca Woodman. I had only first heard of her the other day in class when we watched the documentary about her work. Ever since then, her photos have really stuck with me. I found some of them so disturbingly beautiful at times that I couldn't look away. They gave me the strangest feeling that I don't know how to describe, but I find myself looking at them all the time now.











No comments:

Post a Comment