Thursday, September 27, 2012

Artist Lecture: Douglas Prince

I actually really liked this lecture and found it to be very interesting! I loved how he started off his lecture with talking about how he first got into photography and how photography was incorporated into his life at a young age. It made me feel more connected to the artist because we knew more about him personally before we saw his art. For me, it helped me better understand and appreciate his art because of his personal introduction. I also really liked how he talked about his inspirational teachers he had during collage. I have never seen another artist do that during their artist lecture and I thought it was really nice to see who inspired him. Again, it made me feel like I knew the artist more before we started to see his art.
I really liked when he started showing us his darkroom prints. I found them to be so interesting and his printing ability to be so amazing. I thought it was so cool how he could combine multiple images in the dark room by just burning and dodging. That seems so difficult to me. Especially to make the image look believable and like it actually is one shot instead of multiple images mushed together. I have a hard time doing that on photoshop so I can't imagine how long it would take him to do that in the darkroom. My favorite photo of this process was of his two sons playing in a river. The upper part of the image is a separate image of woods and below is another image of his sons playing on the roots of some trees. I like this image so much because the landscape did look weird to me, in good way, but I couldn't figure out why until he told us that it was 2 images. I couldn't find that image on the internet, but I did find another image of this process that I also really liked. I'll post it below.



Another thing I really liked about his lecture was that he showed his artistic process with certain images. For instance, he would show us an image and show us how he edited it and how it evolved into the final product. I really liked this because we got to see how he worked and developed each photo. It gave me a better understanding of his editing process which I thought was really cool. 

I think my favorite project that he did out of all his work was his photo sculptures. I thought they were so cool! Each photo was so interesting and had some strange aspect to it. There was something not right in each photo that just made me want to look at them longer. I also liked how each image was within a little box. It made me feel like I was looking into another world or into a private room where everything was distorted. I just loved them so much! I especially loved the photo of the desk next to a window, with two braids hanging down in front of the window. This gave me such a haunting feeling.

Here are some of his photo sculptures.










No comments:

Post a Comment