Monday, October 21, 2013

Artist Lecture: Henrieke Strecker

 This lecture was probably one of the most interesting lectures that I have been too so far at UNH. I really loved listening to her talk about her work and tell the stories about each photo, while we were looking at them on the screen. I also thought the way she talked about her experiences with photography was very interesting to listen too and articulated in such a beautiful way. I really liked the way she talked about how she likes to shoot without a viewfinder. She stated that she likes to let time flow through the camera as it flowers through her and that she wants to record what she has experienced in that moment through these photographs. The way that she presented her images to us, by reading about that moment in time that she took the photo, made me really look at the photograph in a new way. It made me really feel that moment she was in, and I felt an emotional connection to each photograph. My favorite part of the lecture was listening to her talk about her “war” photograph and explaining how it was made. Listening to her say the word “war” over and over again made me really start to hear it as just a sound rather than a word with a meaning. Towards the end of the lecture she stated that pin hole photography helps us learn what life is in that time of the exposure. I felt like I really understood what she was talking about when she said this because I have experienced the same thing when I took pin hole self portraits of myself. In that time of the exposure, you really analyze what is going on around you and start to think about so many different things. It’s really a powerful moment that I have experienced, but have been unable to really explain, and I thought that she explained it so perfectly. Down below are some of my favorite photographs of her's from the lecture.















No comments:

Post a Comment