Monday, September 2, 2013

Abstraction






I really enjoyed the two readings assigned to us about abstraction. I liked how the first reading, written by Andy Grundberg, talked about how photography is unable to really abstract anything since photographs shows a true realistic copy of what the camera saw. This article later stated that photography can only represent the idea of abstraction, rather than actually achieving abstraction. At first, I actually agree with what Grundberg was saying, but then later changed my mind when I read the second article online. In this article, it stated that all art is abstract since it is representing something tangible. I really liked that idea of all photographs being abstract in a way, since they are showing something tangible to the viewer, but still not showing the actually subject directly to the viewer.

These two abstract photographs, that I took this weekend, are able to show the viewer the object being photographed, while still leaving some of the image confusing. I chose these photographs because I really like how the different colors and shaded areas play with the viewers mind. The viewer might see a foot or a hand at first, but then start to see other images instead, that their mind starts to make up in the light and dark areas of the photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment